POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Radiosity Status: Giving Up... : Re: Radiosity Status: Giving Up... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:26:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity Status: Giving Up...
From: clipka
Date: 31 Dec 2008 20:20:01
Message: <web.495c1a3acd9d1e7530acaf600@news.povray.org>
> I have no intention to continue such an argument on semantics, this leads
> nowhere and does not change the fact that x87 FPU usage is deprecated.

.... which in turn does not change the fact either that modern CPUs (still) have
a dedicated command to compute a square root (and not only that, but also for
trigononetrics and the like), which was a question previously raised, and
answered by me by referring to the x87 FPU instruction set, while at the same
time maintaining that they're not a "naive" hardware implementation.

I still have doubts whether using SSE2 roots/trigonometrics etc. is really
faster than using the FPU, or whether the compiler really does not use them -
at least on 32-bit systems. Note that the deprecation statement relates to
AMD64, not x86 in general as far as I can see.

So again, in what way do your statements invalidate mine?