POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Radiosity Status: Giving Up... : Re: Radiosity Status: Giving Up... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:18:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity Status: Giving Up...
From: clipka
Date: 31 Dec 2008 20:05:01
Message: <web.495c1662cd9d1e7530acaf600@news.povray.org>
>   Besides the basic operations there's sqrt, but no trigonometric nor
> logarithmic functions. x87 has those (although only base-2 logarithms
> are supported directly).

Only base-2 logarithms? Hey, big deal :)

Base-x logarithms (with constant x) are easily done computing the base-2
logarithm and dividing the result by a constant (namely the base-2 logarithm of
x).

But I guess I'm not telling you any news here.

(I was a bit surprised to find that the supported base is 2, not e - but
thinking about again it's straightforward of course, and I wouldn't be
surprised if computing log2 would actually be a piece of cake on a binary
computer, maybe even easier than a sqrt.)