POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Radiosity Status: Giving Up... : Re: Radiosity Status: Giving Up... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:18:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity Status: Giving Up...
From: clipka
Date: 31 Dec 2008 19:10:00
Message: <web.495c0886cd9d1e7530acaf600@news.povray.org>
> > You are looking at the wrong manual. This manual does not tell you how
> > to do something but what is available.
> I guess it would help if M$ would not call x86-64 "AMD64" in older documents...

I'm not surprised that they did, because that's what the original implementation
was named...

<http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/b/5/5b5bec17-ea71-4653-9539-204a672f11cf/AMD64_PortApp.doc>
> <http://developer.amd.com/pages/62720069_4.aspx>

I still don't get the point. The first document is about AMD64; it does mention
SSE2, but not to much extent. Again, vectorization is the most prominent
keyword here.

The second document mentions that "The x87 FPU can perform numerous advanced
arithmetic operations on values stored in the x87 registers, such as
trigonometric and logarithmic functions, with a single instruction.", and also
that "x87 arithmetic is deprecated in 64-bit mode" - but not because it would
be inferior, but simply because "the extent to which operating systems will
continue to support x87 in the future is unknown."

There is no mention that SSE2 could do the same transcendental functions without
some additional piece of software, and I wonder whether that will do good to
performance.