POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : More byproducts of the radiosity discussions... : Re: More byproducts of the radiosity discussions... Server Time
1 Aug 2024 10:19:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More byproducts of the radiosity discussions...
From: Reactor
Date: 31 Dec 2008 16:20:01
Message: <web.495be1176422692fc19d06840@news.povray.org>
Severi Salminen <sev### [at] NOTTHISsaunalahtifiinvalid> wrote:
> In these discussions it would be nice to know how the "reference
> renderer" handles this. Reference being MC-Pov. In 1 hour the result
> might be quite good with a path tracer. At least if MC-POV implemented
> all known techniques to speed up the convergence.
>
> Severi S.

I am going to try it.  I am new to MC-Pov, but it *seems* to be working
correctly (i.e. black image with random white speckles after 2 minutes).  It'll
take me a while to know for sure, though...

I modified the scene a bit, though.  The version I grabbed from the other thread
had the reflective finishes commented out and some other alternative values
commented out for the specular components.  I put the reflection back into the
finishes, changed the global ambient_light to 1, and changed all textures to a
plain white pigment with diffuse of 1.00.  The normal statements are unchanged.

I am now sort of intrigued by MC Pov, particularly by the fact that the
algorithm could take advantage of multiple cores or machines.  It also makes me
think that, in the future, it might not be a bad idea for Pov to support more
than one possible global illumination method or light model that would be
specified in the ini file or global_settings block.

-Reactor