POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : More byproducts of the radiosity discussions... : Re: More byproducts of the radiosity discussions... Server Time
1 Aug 2024 10:13:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More byproducts of the radiosity discussions...
From: nemesis
Date: 31 Dec 2008 12:05:00
Message: <web.495ba5c06422692f180057960@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Severi Salminen <sev### [at] NOTTHISsaunalahtifiinvalid> wrote:
> > In these discussions it would be nice to know how the "reference
> > renderer" handles this. Reference being MC-Pov.
>
> Why would MC-Pov be qualified as a "reference renderer" in this case?

http://pagesperso-orange.fr/fidos/MCPov/MCPov.html

It's a megapov patch based on path-tracing and reportedly very accurate.  Very
slow too, but more accurate no doubt than current radiosity.

fidos developed it last year and I remember there were many interesting posts
with comparisons between path-tracing and radiosity, path-tracing giving very
accurate results, despite the noise still left and render times.  Here's the
relevant links, very interesting read anyway:

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.47a4a907a327f677ce311500%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=294498&
toff=500
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3C47bde8f9%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=294498&toff=450
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.4838403f151ae76dd309f1e00%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=294498