POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : More byproducts of the radiosity discussions... : Re: More byproducts of the radiosity discussions... Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:16:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More byproducts of the radiosity discussions...
From: clipka
Date: 31 Dec 2008 05:35:00
Message: <web.495b4a036422692f483cfa400@news.povray.org>
Jaime Vives Piqueres <jai### [at] ignoranciaorg> wrote:
> After reading a message by Warp about how save_file and load_file could work
> on the same scene together, I remembered that he mentioned this before. Back
> then I had the intention to test it, but surely RL came in the way... now, I
> don't have much free time these days anyhow, but I've not resisted to try
> it, because I had a "bengenesque" idea that might work: use the animation
> feature to successively decrease the error_bound while saving the data and
> reloading it on the next frame:
>
> Running 16 frames I get a very good result in just 1 hour: see
> secret-progressive16.jpg. I also included for reference the first pic of the
> sequence (secret-progressive01.jpg), and also a pic showing how the end
> settings will look without loading the previous frames radiosity
> (secret-progressive16b.jpg).
>

> I think it deserves some more research, but looks promising to overcome
> many radiosity problems.

Things to note:

- By setting nearest_count to 10, no additional samples will be taken after the
10th pass whatsoever. In fact, many samples will have been taken much earlier.

- By taking high error_bound samples first, which are low quality, you will
reduce the number of low error_bound samples taken.

- The artifacts you see in the 16b image are not due to the quality of the
radiosity samples used for that shot, but due to the moment they were taken:
What we see are the results of final-trace sampling, with the new samples
affecting their surroundings only in successive rows.

I expect that exactly the same quality - if not even better - can be achieved
within just two frames by using constant settings as currently used in the...
hm, let me guesstimate... something like the 6th frame.

You may also want to try using 1/max(image_width,image_height) as pretrace_end,
and N/max(image_width,image_height) with N being some power of 2 as
pretrace_start, and render just a single frame. Try a nearest_count of 3 or the
like.

Finally, expect 3.7 radiosity to become better anyway.

Oh, and finally finally - keep having ideas like these, 'cause even if they
don't work as you may think they may still be inspiring. And inspiration is the
thing most needed with POV's radiosity.