POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : OMG - it works!! : Re: OMG - it works!! Server Time
1 Aug 2024 10:15:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OMG - it works!!
From: clipka
Date: 30 Dec 2008 05:20:01
Message: <web.4959f5a85b5ba55b1a6427600@news.povray.org>
"Reactor" <rea### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> I am still testing under MegaPov, but so far, this scene looks like it will
> require a very high count, which is what I was hoping to avoid.

Try the sample randomization in MegaPOV - it might do some good, because it will
most likely break up the "diffraction grating" effect.

The problem is that POV-Ray doesn't randomize its samples at all, so if you have
a low sample count, the bright gap in the door is always picked up from the same
directions.

I'm currently toying around with some alternative approach of when to take new
samples.

Currently, the sampling is simply "expectation-driven": The scene geometry is
analyzed, and samples are taken if it is *estimated* that the existing samples
will have a too high error for a certain location.

I'm currently experimenting with an approach that sets up a coarse mesh of
samples using the same type of estimation, but when attempting to re-use
samples it checks by how much the existing samples *do* disagree.