POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : OMG - it works!! : Re: OMG - it works!! Server Time
1 Aug 2024 10:19:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OMG - it works!!
From: clipka
Date: 30 Dec 2008 01:10:00
Message: <web.4959bac55b5ba55bab169ede0@news.povray.org>
stbenge <^@hotmail.com> wrote:
> No, I cannot. Recent tests don't seem to be showing any black splotches.
> Maybe 3.7's radiosity has been fixed somewhat after all. It used to
> happen when I rendered meshes with high-count radiosity. Strange black
> patches would appear, and higher count values only made it worse. If I
> run into it again, I'll post the relevant code.

Sounds like those classic "black splotches" issue I posted about recently.

They're all about POV-ray's way of keeping track of recursion depth - of the
trace in general (what you control with "max_trace_level") and radiosity (often
referred to as "bounce depth" - the thing you control with the "recursion_limit"
keyword).

In POV 3.6, the handling is straightforward wrong, causing those well-known
artifacts basically in every scene that has any reflection or refraction. POV
3.7 (at least the beta.29 - I haven't seen a single line of code of previous
betas) handles the whole issue differently, probably for totally unrelated
design issues. This change had a positive side effect on the black splotch
issues, but is somewhat bogus as well.

The next beta will most likely have this all sorted out properly (if the POV
team decides to includes my changes, that is).