POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Radiosity Status: Giving Up... : Re: Radiosity Status: Giving Up... Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:37:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity Status: Giving Up...
From: clipka
Date: 29 Dec 2008 23:25:00
Message: <web.4959a241cd9d1e75ab169ede0@news.povray.org>
Alain <ele### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
>  From version 3.6 for any radiosity scene: (also for photons)
> "Cleanup Parse Warning: This rendering uses the following experimental
> feature(s): radiosity. The desing and implementation of these features is likely
> to change in future version of POV-Ray. Full backward compatibility with the
> current implementation is NOT guarenteed."
>
> This tells me that, in future versions, the way to handle radiosity may change.
>
> This also tels me that the result may change from version to version, even if
> the parameters do stay the same.
>
> So, after seeing that warning, if any scene using radiosity, or photons, don't
> give the same final image between 3.6 end 3.7, i'd say that it's NORMAL and
> EXPECTED.

Basically yes - that's why I give up on trying to get 3.7 exactly the same.

However, differences may also be an indicator that something is broken, so
getting 3.7 to behave almost exactly like 3.6 would have given confidence that
the code is "not more broken than 3.6" - meaning that anything damaged in the
transition from C to C++ would have been repaired.