POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : OMG - it works!! : Re: OMG - it works!! Server Time
1 Aug 2024 10:14:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OMG - it works!!
From: Reactor
Date: 29 Dec 2008 23:10:00
Message: <web.49599e725b5ba55bd7faa3a60@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> "Reactor" <rea### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > Would you mind making the source available?  I have been experimenting with
> > radiosity under 3.6 recently, and I've run into an odd, non-intuitive way of
> > getting certain difficult to render scenes to trace correctly.  I also want to
> > see how the recursive sampling does under MegaPov 1.2.1.
>
> Whoops - somehow this post of yours slipped past me...
>
> Tell me about those experiments - it may help me identify some more quirks in
> the radiosity code.
>

> > Since the images is still not very accurate and your settings seem to be fairly
> > high (in comparison to what I use for most scenes), I think this would be a
> > good test of some alternate methods.
>
> Sure, give it a try. But promise to tell me about your results ;)
>
> As it is now, it needs a texture named "Parquetry_plain.png", but I guess that
> doesn't really matter, so you may want to replace it with a uniform pigment.
> The original texture I use is too large to post it.

Well... basically, when you start to run into the 1600 count limit or the count
vs patience limit, I've found that some scenes can actually be made to work
with a lower count than usual by lengthening the pretrace step and dropping the
error bound very low.  Since one usually sees splotches when the count is too
low for a given error_bound, if the error_bound is dropped low enough, the
splotches become very small and distributed such that the shadows and shading
start becoming reasonably accurate again.
Depending on the scene, this method can work fairly well.  I have had some
degree of success on scenes that are indoors and involve sharper shadows and
rapid changes of light.  Outdoor, architectural scenes involving slower changes
of light and softer shadows seem to do better with the usual approach.