POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : OMG - it works!! : Re: OMG - it works!! Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:18:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OMG - it works!!
From: clipka
Date: 29 Dec 2008 18:05:01
Message: <web.495957385b5ba55bab169ede0@news.povray.org>
"Samuel Benge" <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Hey clipka (and everyone else who might be interested),
>
> There's a quick workaround for 3.7 radiosity.

I'm actually not interested in quick workarounds, but getting the thing to
ultimately work fine without them :)

> 3.7's radiosity doesn't seem to like high count values,

That's very interesting for me to hear. Can you describe what's wrong with it,
and maybe post a sample scene?

> so to get more detail you can apply a small-scale
> global surface normal to all objects in your scene like so:
>
> #default{
>  finish{ambient 0}
>  normal{bumps .25 scale .001}
> }
>
> You can now get away with lower (<300) count settings. It's a hack--I admit
> it--but it's worth it for difficult scenes. This works just fine with custom
> pretrace_start/end and low error_bound settings as well. You'll need good
> antialiasing settings to go along with it:

Hm - sounds to me like you're actually using the normals to force more samples
to be taken. Does this any good to rendering time?