POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : OMG - it works!! : Re: OMG - it works!! Server Time
7 Sep 2024 13:08:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: OMG - it works!!
From: nemesis
Date: 29 Dec 2008 09:05:01
Message: <web.4958d8765b5ba55b180057960@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> This scene shows an unlit room, with an almost-but-not-quite closed door,
> leading outside into blazing light.

Yeah, I had one of those myself.  POV-Ray gives this creepy feeling to scenes
where light comes solely from the outdoor through a semi-opened door... :)

I think the light coming through the corner of the wall and floor can be
suppressed by having actual walls with thickness, like a scaled box.

> Well, that's what it *should* show. See for yourself what 3.6 and the
> 3.7.0.beta.29 make of it.
>
> I admit that I didn't use top quality settings for those shots - but compare it
> to what *can* be made out of it. Exactly the same scene. Exactly the same lousy
> radiosity settings.

The radiosity settings don't seem so lousy.

>   radiosity {
>     pretrace_start 0.08
>     pretrace_end   0.004
>     count 300
>     nearest_count 10
>     error_bound 0.15
>     recursion_limit 3
>     low_error_factor 0.5
>     gray_threshold 0
>     minimum_reuse 1/1024
>     brightness 1.0
>     adc_bailout 0.01/2
>   }

> bounces) and a higher count (to get everything less splotchy)

That, mainly.  But I believe error_bound should actually go up a little:  it
should also be faster to test.  Try with error_bound .8 first.