POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : OMG - it works!! : OMG - it works!! Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:16:22 EDT (-0400)
  OMG - it works!!
From: clipka
Date: 29 Dec 2008 08:20:01
Message: <web.4958cdacbd000ce76f3e4e890@news.povray.org>
Looks like I'm doing something right with the 3.7 radiosity code...

This scene shows an unlit room, with an almost-but-not-quite closed door,
leading outside into blazing light.

Well, that's what it *should* show. See for yourself what 3.6 and the
3.7.0.beta.29 make of it.

I admit that I didn't use top quality settings for those shots - but compare it
to what *can* be made out of it. Exactly the same scene. Exactly the same lousy
radiosity settings.

Different code though - but not at all optimized for this scene. Just some
changes I thought would be good. I guess they are...

Admittedly, rendering time was significantly higher as well (talking about CPU
power here; wall clock time was actually still lower on an AMD Phenom Quad due
to the multithreading benefit) - but getting 3.6 to the same quality (even with
those remaining "ligt leak" artifacts) would kill. I wonder what my current
version can do with reasonable settings. I used these:

  radiosity {
    pretrace_start 0.08
    pretrace_end   0.004
    count 300
    nearest_count 10
    error_bound 0.15
    recursion_limit 3
    low_error_factor 0.5
    gray_threshold 0
    minimum_reuse 1/1024
    brightness 1.0
    adc_bailout 0.01/2
  }

I guess I'll try with a lower minimum_reuse and error_bound (to reduce
"crosstalk" between wall sides), a higher recursion_limit (there's no direct
path for any light ray into this room, so this scene lives from multiple
bounces) and a higher count (to get everything less splotchy)

Boy, I *AM* excited about this one...

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'secret.jpg' (269 KB)