POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : beta 29: queue with radiosity crashes : Re: beta 29: queue with radiosity crashes Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:18:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: beta 29: queue with radiosity crashes
From: Roman
Date: 29 Dec 2008 04:55:00
Message: <web.49589def862579584d3e17860@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> I didn't notice until now that we're talking about 64 bit. But I'll try to see
> if it also happens on 32-bit, or 64-bit Linux.

As SharkD mentioned, the error also occurs in the 32bit version:
http://news.povray.org/povray.beta-test/message/%3Cweb.4957638b86257958d2ca984a0%40news.povray.org%3E/#%3Cweb.4957638b8
6257958d2ca984a0%40news.povray.org%3E
I myself haven't checked, though.

> At the moment I suspect that it's actually all about timing, and that the 3.7
> beta .29 may have a general problem with accessing the same file from multiple
> threads at the same time - although I actually can't think of any file that
> would be opened by both renders of that scene.

But then why does it work with a radiosity count of less than ~300? To me, from
an outside point of view, it seems more likely that there is some memory
problem with the radiosity feature (or somewhere else). It looks as if some
allocated memory wasn't freed properly, causing trouble when POV-Ray wants to
go on with the next scene file, or that an array overflew. Also the memory dump
error popup (saying: unhandled exception) in the end of rendering a single scene
gives rise to such an assumption.