POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Storage of Trace Level : Re: Storage of Trace Level Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:25:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Storage of Trace Level
From: nemesis
Date: 28 Dec 2008 14:50:00
Message: <web.4957d825a6b04366180057960@news.povray.org>
"clipka" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> One thing I noticed was that the balcony scene, when rendered without photons,
> does not show the shadow of the drink, so obviously there's some more work to
> be done than just radiosity.

Perhaps not.  I remember one day rendering a glass scene with and without
photons (no radiosity) and was astounded to realize that glass without
refraction and caustic would feature very little shadow after all.  It makes
sense:  caustics are the result of bent rays of light passing through the glass
and gathering at a single point or region, so the other parts of the occluded
"shadow" should really show much darker, since the light is not directly going
through the transparent material as in the no refraction/caustics image...