POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : beta 29: queue with radiosity crashes : Re: beta 29: queue with radiosity crashes Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:12:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: beta 29: queue with radiosity crashes
From: clipka
Date: 27 Dec 2008 18:15:00
Message: <web.4956b5e786257958513c86b90@news.povray.org>
"alphaQuad" <alp### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
> > I bet you don't even have an idea of what you're talking about.
>
> yah its called a C++ standard to which MS cant stick. Sun microsystems sued and
> won ten million (albeit a drop in the bucket) for niggin on Java contract.
> Nothing "religious" about it. Its called reality. Denial changes nothing, get
> out of it.

Question #1: What on earth have Java and Sun Microsystems to do with C++??

Question #2: What has a C++ compiler with nonstandard features to do with
developing portable software that adheres to standards?

Ad #2 I can tell you from my experience that the answer in a well-managed
project is: Nothing. You just don't use those nonstandard features.

Even though an MS Visual Studio project is maintained for POV-Ray, the render
engine is designed to compile on Unix systems just as fine. And even the
Windows frontend is designed to compile with other compiler suites, most
notably the Intel C++ compiler.

Mingw sucks just as much as any other particular runtime environment you are
custom-tailoring a product for. The best solution is to not custom-tailor it to
*ANY* particular RTE.

So shut up that childish "my platform is better than yours", because that's not
how *real* portable software is developed.