POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : forgotten but not alone : Re: forgotten but not alone Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:17:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: forgotten but not alone
From: Kenneth
Date: 27 Dec 2008 17:15:00
Message: <web.4956a827bc867a2d78dcad930@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <tDOTdegroot@interDOTnlANOTHERDOTnet> wrote:

> Nice. Interesting place :-)

Thanks.  I probably spent the most time with the torch flames, getting them to
look right--then rigging them for animation. (*Every* time I render this scene,
I change their look slightly; can't resist the temptation.) Oh, I just
discovered that this particular torch is directly underneath a wooden beam.
Hmm, whoever built this dungeon did a bad job. :-p  It hasn't burned down yet,
though.

Each flame has four randomly 'dancing' areas_lights to cast shadows; looks quite
natural during animation. The flame 'container' is an isosurface, the shape of
which also undulates during animation.

Something interesting: Despite this scene's complexity, it renders faster
(almost fifteen times faster!) with Bounding=off. Probably due to an
area_light/looks_like object/bounding problem (in v3.6.1c), which I posted
something about in advanced-users. But that may not be the entire reason for
the slow-down; don't know for sure. A useful discovery, in any case.

KW

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'chalice_n_flame.jpg' (177 KB)