POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Radiosity status : Re: Radiosity status Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:32:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity status
From: clipka
Date: 26 Dec 2008 23:15:00
Message: <web.4955abb9a9104c118ac4fcf10@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>   I really hate to sound like a grammar nazi, but you consistently keep
> writing it like that, and it hurts my eyes. It's "reproducibility".

Sorry - I keep wondering what the correct spelling actually is every time I type
that word (btw, to do some nitpicking myself: It's not a grammar issue, but a
matter of orthography... I hope I got this right ;)).

BTW, I'm German (hence those orthography issues)...

>   Btw, personally I would be more concerned about getting all threads
> produce the same lighting for all the rendered parts, than trying to
> make POV-Ray reproduce bit-by-bit the exact same image each time it
> renders the same scene. The biggest problem with "radiosity" in POV-Ray
> has always been that there's no way to distribute it because if you make
> different instances render different parts of the program, the "radiosity"
> lighting will be calculated differently in them, and a visible difference
> will appear between the image sections rendered by different instances.

The threads do co-operate well in this respect. There have been probems with the
octree structure showing in some shots, and artifacts related to the "job
chunks", but these have been solved. (In fact the octree artifacts were totally
unrelated to the multithreading, and the other artifacts were just made more
prominent by the block-by-block rendering.)

I'm not sure how the POV team thinks about this topic, but as far as I'm
concerned I'd have no problem with releasing the current status as a beta.