POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Rainbow : Re: Rainbow Server Time
1 Aug 2024 10:14:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rainbow
From: Florian Siegmund
Date: 24 Dec 2008 19:50:01
Message: <web.4952d7fd619c0ff387129fc00@news.povray.org>
Take a glance at this one...
The image was rendered within one week on a Pentium DualCore 3.6Ghz with 2GB
RAM; I don't know the exact time it took to render though, because I stopped
and continued tracing several times. For this image, I used Jaime Vives
Piqueres' 'Project Tierra' landscape include files and my own ones for the
rainbow, and I'm quite happy with the result. Still I'm using emitting media
rather than scattering one, because it renders faster and my include file
contains the possibility to 'project' a pattern onto the rainbow, e.g. clouds,
to get the illusion of a 'broken' rainbow (not used in this image, but
possible, if someone liked to use this feature).

Mike, your rainbow seems a little bit too 'perfect' to me, like it was an
illustration taken from a fairy tale book; most of all because of the powerful
colors. Maybe this is your aim, because the viewer still gets a very special
impression in this case, I don't know. If you wanted to achieve that, you are
going into the right direction (yes, I like the image; put a crystal dragon
into the scene and I would like it even more!) But for getting an image with a
more realistic look, you should work on the colors and angles of the rainbow
once more. One more thing to say, I wonder about your rendering times... what
is it that kills your processor speed, the rainbow media or the landscape
isosurface? By default, my rainbow media only takes 2 media intervals. There is
no need of taking more intervals in normal cases, beacause I tweaked the density
function in a way so that it renders nearly like the inbuilt 'fog' feature in
pov-ray (assuming that reflecting water droplets are distributed constantly
along the viewing ray). Hope this helps a little bit.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'tierra_ls_01.jpg' (379 KB)

Preview of image 'tierra_ls_01.jpg'