POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : stupid unix ./configure script : Re: stupid unix ./configure script Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:38:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: stupid unix ./configure script
From: clipka
Date: 22 Dec 2008 21:40:01
Message: <web.49504eec5af3fc2ba5987fa00@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Calimet <pov### [at] freefr> wrote:
> > I tried to ./configure POV-ray for using the Intel C++ compiler instead of GNU
> > C++
>
>  Never faced this problem before (the beta binaries come as both ICC-
> and GCC-builds) but that may be because of my customized install of ICC.
>  Any patch to suggest here?

I'm not an expert on Autoconf (or however that tool is called that generates the
../config script), but I'd expect there to be some way to have it try and compile
a simple "hello world" program (or whatever), and if that fails, abort with a
message suggesting to the user to check his compiler setup.

Instead, the script right away starts to test for specific compiler features, by
trying to compile some small programs and checking whether that succeeds / fails
as expected - and gets nonsense answers because the "probe" used in the tests is
broken.