POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : "configure" script broken in beta 29 (unix source package) : Re: "configure" script broken in beta 29 (unix source package) Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:29:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "configure" script broken in beta 29 (unix source package)
From: clipka
Date: 22 Dec 2008 15:25:00
Message: <web.494ff6b9496cddbdedb0f3170@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> clipka <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> >     ax_compiler_version=`cat conftest.out | sed 's,.*[[:space:]],,'`
>
>   I know nitpicking about "useless use of cat" is rather old, but would
> it really hurt if that was written in the "kosher" way, ie:
>
>     ax_compiler_version=`sed 's,.*[[:space:]],,' conftest.out`
>
>   If nothing else, it's more efficient that way.

Maybe it has something to do with compatibility? Maybe some exotic systems that
run into trouble with this 'kosher' approach?

Then again it just may have to do with Unix people's brain cells being
hard-wired to using pipes whenever they hear "sed", "grep", "awk" or similar.

Anyway, we're not talking about runtime performance of POV here, just some
installation thing that runs fast enough as it is.