POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : A Jet Fighter : Re: A Jet Fighter Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:14:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A Jet Fighter
From: Reactor
Date: 16 Dec 2008 15:50:00
Message: <web.4948141075f3a165de23c1a90@news.povray.org>
"Bridgeofstraws" <bri### [at] inboxcom> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have posted about my jet named the M22 before but I decided that it was time
> to post a picture of it.  This render is at 1600x1200 with 0.3 antialiasing and
> it took roughly 3.5 days to render.
>
> CREDITS
> -thanks to Kevin Loney, Jaap Frank and Tor Olav Kristensen for there isosurface
> to mesh conversion include file
> -thanks to Rune Skovbo Johansen for his particle system which was used to make
> the smoke trail
> -thanks to the POV community for all the help whether directly or indirectly
> -thanks to the POV-Ray developers for developing such a great piece of software
>
> A little background:
> I started modeling this jet 100% in POV-Ray SDL back in March 2008.  I've worked
> on it very slowly since then.  The chassis version you see here is an
> isosurface, but I also have mesh and CSG versions.  I started this whole thing
> because I eventually wanted to make a dogfight sequence but that's a long way
> away.
>
> By the way I am aware of the following problems with this render.
> -there are 2 artifacts at the engine-nozzle area
> -where the cockpit glass meets the main chassis of the plane the blue colour is
> suppose to be dark grey
> -there is a small shading artifact on the nose cone of the closer plane
>
> All comments and criticisms are welcome.
>
> Bridgeofstraws

Very nice!  I, too, am working on some aircraft, both for animations and for the
POV-ray Object Collection.  I am not using csg/isosurfaces, but mostly meshes
produced in Wings3D, as I find that easy to work with.  Of course, when dealing
with meshes, you have to worry about mesh resolution and files sizes and such,
but they render much more quickly. *shrug* there is always a trade off.

I've gotten the body shape done on mine, but at some point I need to do the
landing gear, as well as the interior and pilot.  However, instead of
continuing on that model, I find myself working on a new, VTOL model...

Out of curiosity, are you going to add control surfaces?  Also, how will you
place your craft?  I was going to use the spline_trans macro, but it doesn't
provide enough info directly, so I think I am going to have to partially
re-write it.

-Reactor