POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Bathtub - take 2 : Re: Bathtub - take 2 Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:17:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bathtub - take 2
From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 16 Dec 2008 10:25:01
Message: <web.4947c7826655db1881c811d20@news.povray.org>
> "Trevor G Quayle" <Tin### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> > I wasn't originally going to go in this direction, but with some of the comments
> > on my previous render I ran through some alterations.
> >
> > -toned down the darkness of the water.  It still looks dark, but actually that
> > is mostly due to environment reflection.
> > -altered the waves of the water.  toned down the choppiness and added ripples
> > -changed some of the faucet textures
> > -changed the image plane (it is a image/bump map not procedural)
> > -most importantly, added AA.  Only set to 0.3 but coame out pretty godd still.
>
> I like it. That's a really good floor texture too, shame it's not procedural but
> whatever gets the job done!
>
> I also like the way the water is very realistic, but not in the way bath water
> would be - instead, it looks like a an ocean viewed from the air, as if the
> bathtub were kilometers wide (although that's obviously not the idea). I take
> it this effect is deliberate?
>
> Interested to see where this is going.
>
> :)

Thanks.

Well the water looks dark, but it's actually not, the apparent darkness is from
the reflection and lighting effects.  Especially since the light is low in the
sky which is causing a lot of shadow within the tub.  A different environment
and lighting scheme would likely show it much lighter.

-tgq