POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Calculating water flow : Re: Calculating water flow Server Time
1 Aug 2024 10:17:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Calculating water flow
From: SharkD
Date: 12 Dec 2008 19:20:01
Message: <web.4942ff59b440b79993fa7c500@news.povray.org>
"Kirk Andrews" <kir### [at] tektonartcom> wrote:
> To join in the discussion about programming languages, I will have to agree with
> clipka at this point--SDL is far to slow for this method.  It seems to me that
> these calculations ought to process fairly quickly, being little more
> complicated than Photoshop filters (which render within seconds, even on huge
> images). Right now, one erosion pass on a 2k x 2k hf takes about five minutes.
> Maybe after my paper is finished and I have more time, I'll try Python again to
> see if I can do the same thing there.  I could post my SDL code is some of you
> programmers wanted to go ahead and put in a real programming language
> (preferably one that I could figure out without a degree in computer science).

I would be interested to see how POV SDL fares on a benchmark test, such as the
following:

http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/

As for your particular case, I suspect that the bulk of the speed difference
stems from the fact that image software programmers have had years to finetune
and optimize how filters are handled and applied. Arrays are probably the slow
way to do it.

-Mike