POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Calculating water flow : Re: Calculating water flow Server Time
1 Aug 2024 10:17:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Calculating water flow
From: milco2006
Date: 12 Dec 2008 11:50:01
Message: <web.49429548b440b7993b1a12740@news.povray.org>
I feel that I am joining this discussion quite late on however I do have
something of worth (hopefully) to add. Having said that I am not entirely sure
of the applicability to this situation.

If one uses an actual function to generate the original surface then there are
methods using integration and differentiation along with other mathematical
operations which allow one to find the steepest path (another function) down a
surface starting from any given point. This would mean no requirment for
evaluation of many many equations but rather a few simple calculations.

Also I am fairly sure that the generated functions could also be used to then be
subtracted from the original function and hence fed in to simulate erosion. As a
mathematician I would highly favour this method as it potentially might cut a
vast amount of calculation in pov. As a method it also suits pov SDL quite
well.

I can rake up the details if anyone is interested? I will be following this post
closely to see what the conclusions to this discussion are.

Malcolm