POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Calculating water flow : Re: Calculating water flow Server Time
1 Aug 2024 10:18:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Calculating water flow
From: Kirk Andrews
Date: 11 Dec 2008 19:40:01
Message: <web.4941b229b440b799b555cae70@news.povray.org>
Well, I went ahead and did a small attempt at the array possibility.

I create an array based on values from a pigment function, exactly like an hf
would.

In this case, in each erosion pass I reevaluate every single point, subtracting
from higher points and adding to the lowest adjacent pixel.

It's pretty slow, this render took over eight minutes to parse with a resolution
of only 300x300 (of course, there's some extra time for actually creating the
meshes for each pass).  It probably would be a good deal faster in C++ or the
like.

Evaluating each pixel may not even be what is wanted.  It may be better to
return to the stream technique I had used before.  The current technique
softens the landscape, and there's some indication that perhaps gullies are
beginning to form, but there's too few passes and the resolution isn't good
enough to tell.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'erosiona.jpg' (147 KB)