POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Calculating water flow : Re: Calculating water flow Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:13:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Calculating water flow
From: clipka
Date: 11 Dec 2008 16:00:01
Message: <web.49417ea1b440b799f708085d0@news.povray.org>
"Kirk Andrews" <kir### [at] tektonartcom> wrote:
> I'm trying to decide the best way to take this to the next phase--actually
> deforming the terrain based on the paths of the water, as clipka discussed.
> Perhaps you could store the altitude of each point of the hf in an array,
> subtracting and adding to the altitude based on the water movement.

Now that I'm reading this... you're not actually doing this in PoV-ray's Scene
Description Language, are you?!

You must be mad! :)

I'd recommend some mainstream programming language, and exporting only the
*final* results of the sim to an SDL.

Performance of the SDL parser is *very* poor compared to compiled languages
(C/C++ or Visual Basic come to my mind) or VM-based languages (like Java or
C#), and given what little language constructs SDL provides I guess it's also
much slower than full-fledged scripting languages (e.g. JavaScript, Perl or
what-have-you).

Well, whatever you like :)