POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Compiling stuff : Re: Compiling stuff Server Time
30 Sep 2024 13:18:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Compiling stuff
From: nemesis
Date: 8 Dec 2008 14:45:00
Message: <web.493d788b80411eecdaf6be9f0@news.povray.org>
Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> >> Do you have *any idea* how long it takes to compile the Linux kernel? I
> >> mean, damn, how *big* is it?? I thought the final binary was only a few
> >> KB in size...
> >
> > Usually 8-10 minutes IME.
>
> Exactly. "Normal" programs take less than 4 *seconds* to compile! o_O

An OS kernel is not hello world where all the libs are already compiled.  A
kernel is pretty much a program and its own libs, plus any device drivers and
more.

Have you ever tried to compile a compiler, BTW?  Like GCC or GHC?  come back
when you do.

In the comics, I like it how the hair grows on the kid.  Indeed, it happened to
a friend.  I think he thought the point of Linux was to have fun compiling
everything by hand.  He gave up once he had already recompiled the kernel and
installed Microsoft fonts in X.  No more fun I guess... :P