POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Learning about Proximity patterns : Re: Learning about Proximity patterns Server Time
1 Aug 2024 04:10:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Learning about Proximity patterns
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 7 Dec 2008 18:20:00
Message: <web.493c59b791f0b832ea3236f00@news.povray.org>
> Kirk Andrews wrote:
> > Thanks to Sam for introducing me to the concept.  I had wanted to do something
> > like that before, but had never thought of using averaging an object pattern.
> > Some initial results:

Ooh yes, this is a lovely technique. Thanks for the hint guys, I would never
have thought of using object patterns in this way. I must play with this in
future projects. Attached is my best experiment of the day, nowhere near as
believable as that column but it's just proof-of-concept for me!

stbenge <THI### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> I have an array of 251 points set in a regular spherical/cubic fashion
> that I use for this very purpose. It effectively distributes the object
> pattern in 3D space, thus reducing any inefficiencies arising from
> complete randomization. A little randomization, though, helps avoid
> other artifacts associated with such a regular pattern. Attached is a
> pic showing how the elements are placed.

I'm using a pure random distribution. I guess you could just jitter your points
in that illustration to keep a random element if it was ending up too regular.

This is interesting stuff. :)

Bill

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: