POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Gamma again : Re: Gamma again Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:25:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma again
From: clipka
Date: 5 Dec 2008 21:30:00
Message: <web.4939e31384dfb9ccc40856790@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez <nic### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Le_Forgeron wrote:
> > I'm a strong believer that the combination of graphic cards and display
> > should provide a gamma of 1.0: linear curve;
>
> I thought that too, and tried configuring my graphics card that way.
> Everything looked washed out. Because almost nobody who makes images or
> chooses website colors or whatever has the gamma set that way.

Yep. Which is because nobody who *views* websites has the gamma set that way.

Simple as that. There's a de-facto standard out there in real life. It's rather
vague, but it's definitely *not* 1.0.

One more reason why I'd like PoV-ray to support arbitrary gamma for output. It
may be wrong from a sort of religious point of view, but it works.