POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Villa WIP 2 : Re: Villa WIP 2 Server Time
1 Aug 2024 06:23:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Villa WIP 2
From: Kirk Andrews
Date: 13 Nov 2008 15:15:00
Message: <web.491c8ab62be205f1a5d4a01d0@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> There's something in there which makes the whole thing look like a
> miniature rather than a full-scale building. I think it's a combination
> of several things.
>
>   Firstly, if we assumed the building is of full size, the grass would
> be composed of huge details. Grass usually doesn't look like that at the
> intended scale. It really makes the building to look like a miniature.
>
>   Another thing which I think adds to the impression of the whole thing
> being a miniature is that the grass looks like made of some artificial
> fabric, rather than consisting of grass blades. Perhaps the trees look a
> bit artificial in that same way as well.
>
>   It's not clear what the structure in the center of the patio is
> supposed to be, but if the building is supposed to be natural-scale,
> that structure is huge. If we compare it to the doorways around, the
> structure would be about twice as tall as an adult man, if not even
> taller. Ok, maybe this is intentional, but it's really not clear what
> the purpose of this structure is. Is it a huge water fountain?
> Regardless (and this is just my opinion), it looks a bit out-of-scale
> compared to the surrounding building.
>
>   Maybe this *is* supposed to be a miniature, after all? If that's the
> case, then it works as that quite well.

I think you're right about the scale.  I think it ultimately comes down to a
lack of the kind of detail you would see if it was truly full-scale.  Really,
this image is just a product of me trying to get better at using Wings3D, since
the villa and the fountain were created that way.  If I were to start over
again, I'd do the whole thing different.  But maybe if I find the time and
motivation in the future I can add the erosion and extra modeling that ti would
take to really make this feel real.