POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Rotation Issue : Rotation Issue Server Time
1 Aug 2024 06:21:16 EDT (-0400)
  Rotation Issue
From: slongay
Date: 30 Oct 2008 20:20:00
Message: <web.490a4dfd4789e34c2ebc1c00@news.povray.org>
Hi, I have recently come across an issue that I cant figure out.

I have a mesh which represents a tree and I want to instance this in different
places of my scene with different rotations, scales etc.

When I rotate the tree though it goes all black! But only at some rotations. See
the attached picture for more info.

The middle tree is rotated 0 about all axis
To the left there are rotations of -45,-90,-180 moving outwards
To the right there are rotations of 45 90 180 moving outwards

The cubes are just there to help show the concept.

I place my trees like this:

#declare MY_TREE = mesh { smooth_triangle .... }

object {
MY_TREE
scale <x,y,z>
rotate <x,y,z>
translate <x,y,z>
}

As you can see as the tree approaches 90 degrees of rotation about the Y axis it
turns black. At 180 it is fine, and at 45 and 135 it is semi-dark.

Has anyone had an issue like this before? Any suggestions would help as this is
really halting my work flow on this project.

Thanks
-Steve

Post a reply to this message

Attachments: