POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : RC Prop Image, help on wood texture : RC Prop Image, help on wood texture Server Time
1 Aug 2024 06:24:13 EDT (-0400)
  RC Prop Image, help on wood texture
From: P Brewer
Date: 29 Oct 2008 19:15:00
Message: <web.4908ed70a73eb029916e2c9f0@news.povray.org>
Here is my second mcpov image. I'm happy with everything but the wood texture.
It looks good enough away from the hub, but at the hub it comes off as
"plasticky" to me.

Here is the texture callout:

  //base wood texture
  texture{ T_Wood7 rotate 90*x scale 3 finish{ ambient 0 diffuse .3 } }
  //colored "overlay" to reduce the contrast on the wood grain
  texture{
    pigment{ color rgbf <238/255,226/255,168/255,.65> }
    }
  //white stripes on tips
  texture{
    pigment{
      gradient y
      color_map{
        [ 0.0 color rgb 1 ]
        [ 0.1 color rgb 1 ]
        [ 0.1 color Clear ]
        [ 0.12 color Clear ]
        [ 0.12 color rgb 1 ]
        [ 0.14 color rgb 1 ]
        [ 0.14 color Clear ]
        [ 1.0 color Clear ]
        }
      scale 140 translate 10*y
      }
    finish{ diffuse .9 }
   }
  //clearcoat
  texture{
    pigment{ color Clear }
    finish{ phong .7 phong_size 100 reflection {.5 fresnel} }
    }

the mesh also adds: interior{ ior 1.8 }

The lighting is with an HDR probe, and the reflection provides the "glossiness".

I tried actually actually putting a clear envelope around it with ior to
simulate clearcoat, but it didn't turn out very well.

Anybody have any ideas to give the wood some more depth?

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'prop_still_small.jpg' (105 KB)

Preview of image 'prop_still_small.jpg'
prop_still_small.jpg