POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : something strange outside... : Re: something strange outside... Server Time
1 Aug 2024 06:25:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: something strange outside...
From: RobF
Date: 28 Oct 2008 23:30:00
Message: <web.4907d7a594d8ad732d55026c0@news.povray.org>
> RobF wrote:
>
> > I've been experimenting with rendering crowds. This scene contains about 500
> > people.
>
> I usually don't like renders with poser figures or similar
> as they always look somewhat artificial to me, but as a forest
> -um- I mean *crowd* they seem quite convincing. It rocks ;)
>
> The placement may yet be a little too random, usually there
> are groups of people belonging together in a crowd, closer to
> each other and with similar level of dress code, or "lanes"
> formed by people tending to follow other people which are
> going in the same direction.
>
> Also, most people on the street are not out there to pose
> and usually have some sort of bag with them. Just looked out
> of the window to confirm that ;)
>
> Do the meshes need to be used as imported or it is possible
> to make some basic pose parametrization in SDL?

You're right the people are placed randomly and uncomfortably close to one
another. As of now these characters are from all walks of life with casual to
formal dress code. Randomly selecting amongst these characters often ends up
with unusual combinations. Now that I've got enough (75) characters, it may be
worth adding a parameter for dress code.

The characters are actually two-dimensional billboards that are picked via
parameters to a macro. The billboard macro has parameters to select the
character, the pose (standing or walking), and the direction (of eight) the
character is facing. These three parameters are used to build a filename that
selects the specific billboard image.

Thanks!

Rob.