POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : something strange outside... : Re: something strange outside... Server Time
1 Aug 2024 06:26:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: something strange outside...
From: RobF
Date: 28 Oct 2008 23:20:01
Message: <web.4907d55794d8ad732d55026c0@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlDOTnet> wrote:
> "RobF" <nomail@nomail> schreef in bericht
> > I've been experimenting with rendering crowds. This scene contains about
> > 500
> > people.
> >
> > Comments and crits welcome.
> >

> Very good! I wonder what they are waiting for..... :-)

For POV-Ray 4.0 of course! :-)

> How many different figures did you use. I see some identical characters
> (different poses though). And how was memory management? I have the
> experience of memory problems when I use too many figures in a scene.
>
> Thomas

There are about 75 different characters each of which has three poses. With 500
instances, there are sure to be clones next to each other.

My interest in crowds was inspired by a photo of a crowded New York street that
I wanted to render. Most meshes are a few hundred MB each, so I came up with a
method of 2D billboards each with a pre-rendered image on it. With a few
tricks, I was able to render thousands of people with less than 600kB of memory
per instance.

I've set up a web page with more information and a zip file containing the macro
I used with a set of 8 billboards.
See: http://fitzel.ca/dart/crowds/crowds.html

Cheers,

Rob.