POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Overgrown Sponza Atrium : Re: Overgrown Sponza Atrium Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:20:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Overgrown Sponza Atrium
From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 20 Oct 2008 04:05:00
Message: <web.48fc3b90b212fa4d5b77e4a0@news.povray.org>
"Thomas de Groot" <t.d### [at] internlDOTnet> wrote:
> "Robert McGregor" <rob### [at] mcgregorfineartcom> schreef in bericht
> > The previous 49 hours for the AO and HDRI passes don't make this realtime
> > raytracing by any stretch, but I really like being able to vary the blend
> > of
> > AO-shadow and full-color until I'm satisified with it.
> >
> > Here's the full-size composite render, which took about 10 seconds.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > -Rob
>
> The result has a very strong 3D feeling, mainly due I suppose to the
> blurring. Really impressive.
> I am not a big fan of focal blur in general. I wonder how the scene would
> look without it?

The image looks stunning, but the exaggerated focal blur gives the impression
that we are looking at a miniature building, maybe 30cm high... if anything,
only the ivy in the extreme foreground (right-hand side) should be blurred.

Of course, that wasn't the point of your render, and I agree, being able to
tweak the light level in a quick apres-AO pass is very powerful. Great stuff!