POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Just wondering... : Re: Just wondering... Server Time
30 Sep 2024 17:28:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just wondering...
From: Stephen
Date: 16 Oct 2008 07:00:01
Message: <web.48f71da762bef051208d05c80@news.povray.org>
"scott" <sco### [at] scottcom> wrote:
> > "English: A language that hides in dark corners waiting to mug other
> > language, rifle through their pockets and steal spare vocabulary."
>
> I actually find it really fascinating to learn about the history of English
> words.  Whilst learning German it is surprising how many words are actually
> German words in disguise (once you know a few "rules").

Lots of our words are Germanic
Gang (as in gangplank); Dutch for corridor, Scots for go.
Kirk (Scots for Church); Kirche in German, Kerk in Dutch
Long (Lang in Scots); Lange in German, Lang in Dutch.
Nether (under), Neder in Dutch.
Daughter (Dochter in Scots); Tochter in German, dochter in Dutch.

But since a lot of Germanic peoples visited Britain after the Romans left it is
not surprising.

Stephen