POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Dandelion : Re: Dandelion Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:23:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dandelion
From: Kenneth
Date: 14 Oct 2008 02:05:01
Message: <web.48f43517ab533c2c78dcad930@news.povray.org>
"Robert McGregor" <rob### [at] mcgregorfineartcom> wrote:

> It's a really complex problem because typically the front side can range from
> velvet-diffuse to highly specular, but the back side is usually highly diffuse,
> with a lot of subsurface scattering. It really requires a two-sided texture to
> be believable, with variable translucency based on the angle of light to the
> surface normal. Reflectance when viewed from the front side (convex),
> transmissive SSS when viewed from the rear (concave)...
>
> Hey Sam, you have this figured out yet?
>
> -Rob :)

Yes, I was also thinking of Sam Benge's SSS stuff. But wouldn't that require a
3D leaf, rather than a 2D one? (I don't know that answer myself, just
guessing.)

As an alternative, I was thinking that a (complex?) pigment_map of some kind
might look cool--with a partly-translucent cellular appearance, or some such,
with veins and whatnot. (Kind of an amorphous suggestion, eh?) :-)

Nice plant, Bill!  I'd *really like* to see a CU of the flower and its green
bulb...

Ken W.