POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Cave Of The Ancients : Re: Cave Of The Ancients Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:22:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cave Of The Ancients
From: Reactor
Date: 12 Oct 2008 16:45:01
Message: <web.48f260df3ef45c673264a50b0@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
> This scene took quite a long time to assemble and tweak...
..
..
..
> No radiosity for this scene (yet); rad and photons together have some issues
> that I haven't solved.

I, too, have had a large amount of problems using radiosity and photons at the
same time.  As a result, I typically render an image in 3 or more passes - a
radiosity pass using save_file, a seperate photon pass also saving the results,
then a final pass when the radiosity and photon data is loaded.  Often, when I
do the pre-final passes, I'll usually use a plain white pigment, unless it will
affect the outcome significantly (for instance, if the gray_threshold is very
low while using radiosity, keeping the colors might be really important).

A possible issue with this work around is that certain scenes may require
interaction between radiosity and photons, such as an indirectly lit corner
under water but near to the surface.  Experimentation with such scenes has lead
to unexpected results, and I've not yet been able to figure out why.

-Reactor