POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Colors.inc : Re: Colors.inc Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:20:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Colors.inc
From: Carlo C
Date: 9 Oct 2008 04:25:00
Message: <web.48edbf27a0db5d9a89e793780@news.povray.org>
Le Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:

> Beware of gamma... W3C probably has not the same gamma as povray now.
> Things are fine for <1,0,0> / #FF0000, but #C00000 might be only
> <0.5,0,0>, while #7F7F7F being only <0.25,0.25,0.25>
> (fictional numbers here, check your gamma curves!)
>
> To sum up, conversion from W3C colorspace might not be linear for a
> povray include.
>
> Getting colour which change from version is also a bad idea: you are not
> parsing it each time you need it, but usually only once... what about
> scenes with some parts in 3.6 and other parts in 3.7 ? How would you
> handle that ?

Thank you for your comments.
Gamma correction: Alas, I am not sufficiently prepared on this subject.

However ...
I have a Windows system, and my assumed_gamma is 2.2 by default.
If I want with POV-Ray a background Coral, and I put my picture in a HTML file
with the background of CSS set to Coral, I know with certainty that the two are
the same background.

Sure, maybe it's not correct to change the colors of the old colors.inc.
Perhaps a better solution would be then to add, for example:

X11_Coral = ... ?

I would be happy to your further clarification.

Greetings