POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Havasu Falls : Re: Havasu Falls Server Time
1 Aug 2024 08:21:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Havasu Falls
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 27 Sep 2008 00:20:00
Message: <web.48ddb05b819d070185de7b680@news.povray.org>
"alphaQuad" <alp### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
>  High concentrations of dissolved lime make the water of Havasu Falls appear
> turquoise.

Low concentrations of almost every known substance make the water around my home
appear turquoise.

link:
http://images.google.co.vi/images?hl=en&q=%22st+thomas%22+beach&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2

(Note, if you're thinking that the water at Lindqvist Beach can't possibly be
that color, you're right.  That color balance is just *wrong*.

Satellite photo of Lindqvist Beach:
http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=18.341532,-64.858303&spn=0.011141,0.015063&t=h&z=16

Unfortunately, it was a cloudy day.)

The turquoise does not come from the dissolved lime; it comes from the water
itself.  Shallow waters usually don't appear turquoise because of impurities
such as tannins, algae, other organic matter, and sand.  But clear water as
shallow as 2 feet takes on a noticeable turquoise cast.  I can't find the
Havasu Falls illustration, but my guess is that the lime enhances the existing
turquoise color by scattering the light.

The waters around my home are clear because they are scrubbed clean of ocean
nutrients by the coral.  There is no organic matter to interfere with the true
color of the water.  There is significant contamination by dissolved halite
(sodium chloride) at 35 grams per liter, but so far, I've seen nothing about
what effect this has on water's optical properties.

Deep water is indigo colored because more of the green light is absorbed,
leaving just the blue and violet wavelengths.