POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Media feature request : Re: Media feature request Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:20:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Media feature request
From: Reactor
Date: 15 Sep 2008 12:00:00
Message: <web.48ce859d4250349439c0df820@news.povray.org>
stbenge <THI### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> I don't know if you guys are taking requests in this forum or not. This
> is something I would like to have appear in POV-Ray in the near future.
>
> It would be nice if media could shadow the object it resides inside, and
> for there to be a force_shadow keyword for media. Let's say I had a mesh
> and I gave it a white pigment with zero brilliance, double_illuminate,
> and a no_shadow keyword. I would add absorbing media with a force_shadow
> keyword, and the result would be a reasonably fast subsurface scattering
> effect.
>
> Right now I'm having to make a copy of the mesh which is slightly fatter
> than the original, and I'm getting strange artifacts resulting from
> ior+media. I would simply use scattering and absorbing media for this
> project, but it's impossible to reduce certain artifacts in thin
> portions, short of adding a surface normal which would increase the
> render time to new highs.
>
> So, could this be done? To have an object with media shadow itself
> (affecting the double_illuminate diffuse), and for there to be a
> force_shadow keyword for media so that a shadowless object's media can
> still cast a shadow?
>
> Sam

I've read this a few times, and I am not sure I fully understand.  What it
sounds like you are describing is scattering media.  What is the difference
between what you are describing and scattering media?

I have used scattering and absorbing medias for SSS before.  What types of
artifacts are you getting?  Can you post the related code?

FYI, there is a forum for discussion of POV-ray 4, which is where most feature
requests are.

-Reactor