POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : PoVEarth, day #9 : Re: PoVEarth, day #9 Server Time
1 Aug 2024 10:15:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: PoVEarth, day #9
From: Reactor
Date: 3 Sep 2008 23:30:01
Message: <web.48bf55c93f41c8c05f180b2a0@news.povray.org>
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F6rg_=27Yadgar=27_Bleimann?= <yaz### [at] gmxde> wrote:
> High!
>
> Here it is:
>
> // My Place in the World
> // A sub-sub-subsection of the PoVEarth project

> // E-mail: yaz### [at] gmxde

..
..
..

Texture changes:

/*  old declaration
#declare T_Concrete_Inner =
texture
{
    pigment { P_Concrete }
    finish { F_Standard_Outer }
}
*/

// should be replaced with:
#declare T_Concrete_Inner =
texture
{
    pigment { P_Concrete }
    finish { F_Standard_Inner }
}

I am still adjusting other settings, but the first change I made was above, with
the inner and outer diffuse settings.  T_Concrete_Inner is using the finish
F_Standard_Outer, and it should be using F_Standard_Inner.
Next:

#if (balanced=1)
   #declare radbri=1.125; /* 1.125 or so for outdoors, raise to 2.0 for indoor
views*/
   #declare outerDiff = 0.25;
   #declare outerAmbi = 0.15;
   #declare innerDiff = 1.00;
   #declare innerAmbi = 0.00;
#else
   #declare radbri=1;
   #declare outerDiff = 1.00;
   #declare innerDiff = 1.00;
   #declare outerAmbi = 0.00;
   #declare innerAmbi = 0.00;
#end
..
..
..
// FINISHES

#declare F_Standard_Outer =
finish
{
   diffuse outerDiff
   ambient outerAmbi // new variable, declared above
   brilliance 0.15
}

#declare F_Standard_Inner =
finish
{
   diffuse innerDiff
   ambient innerAmbi
   brilliance 0.15

}

  I added additional variables for controlling the ambient settings
individually.  I do not recommend the use of ambient light for the indoor
portions, but it can be used to help alter the contrast of the outdoor shadows.
I also dropped the radiosity brightness to the 1.0 to 1.25 range, observing good
results around 1.125 for outside views.  This can be raised or lowered depending
on how much you want the user to be able to see inside.

After changing that, I raised the brightness of the light_source to match.
Assuming a desired intensity of 1.0 * the color declared in the pigment
statement, with a diffuse of 0.25, the light source brightness should be 4.0
(since 4.0 * 0.25 = 1).

     #if (models[3])
       light_source
       {
         <0, 500, -1000>
         color rgb 4 // raised from 1.0
       }

    #end

The radiosity block needs a great deal of adjustment.  An error_bound of 1.8 is
too high for the size of the shadows for what I've seen at view 0, it should
probably be in the 0.25 to 0.75 range with a count raised to match.  I would
also boost the number of bounces to 4 or 5, possibly more for the indoor scenes
and depend on adc bailout (it rarely continues beyond 4 bounces).

Note that the radiosity adjustments will significantly alter the brightness of
some parts!  This is especially true for an error_bound that is too large.

Right now I am rendering view 13 with higher quality radiosity settings and the
changes to the finishes and light_sources mentioned above.  I expect it to take
> 30 minutes, and it is still going to be slightly lower quality (needs to have
a higher count for the error_bound values I am using), but it should be
sufficient to demonstrate the type and degree of brightness changes that will
be available to you by altering the indoor and outdoor diffuse values
seperately.

This is the radiosity block I am using:

  radiosity{
    pretrace_start 100/image_width  // start pretrace at this size
    pretrace_end     1/image_width  // end pretrace at this size
//    adaptive 1 // can only be used under MegaPov 1.2.1
    count 100                       // higher -> higher quality (1..1600) [35]
    nearest_count 20                // higher -> higher quality (1..10) [5]
    error_bound 0.25               // higher -> smoother, less accurate [1.8]
    recursion_limit 5               // how much interreflections are calculated
(1..5+) [3]
    low_error_factor .5             // reduce error_bound during last pretrace
step
    gray_threshold 0.80             // increase for weakening colors (0..1) [0]
    minimum_reuse 0.0015            // reuse of old radiosity samples [0.015]
    brightness radbri               // brightness of radiosity effects (0..1)
[1]
    adc_bailout 0.01
    always_sample off               // turn sampling in final trace off [on]
  }

-Reactor