POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Global illumination? : Re: Global illumination? Server Time
4 May 2024 00:59:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Global illumination?
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 31 Aug 2008 18:10:00
Message: <web.48bb160ffa3af4c385de7b680@news.povray.org>
"Chambers" <bdc### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> Any thoughts on replacing the current radiosity with a new system?

Of course.  That thought haunts me every time i see, "Cleanup Parse Warning:
This rendering uses the following experimental feature(s): radiosity. The
design and implementation of these features is likely to change..."

> If not, I would at least like the ability to up the count beyond 1600.  Although
> the current maximum allows one sample approximately every 1.5 degrees (surface
> area of 4*pi / 1600 samples * 180 degrees per radian), I've found that using
> realistically sized objects with high ambient values to light radiosity scenes
> need a finer resolution than this.
>
> [snip]
>
> So, any thoughts on what should be used for POV 4?

How about specifying points (or directions) near which the radiosity sampling
density would increase.  The overall count could be kept relatively low.  This
would be analogous to the photons target spacing multiplier.