POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Global illumination? : Global illumination? Server Time
3 May 2024 12:07:56 EDT (-0400)
  Global illumination?
From: Chambers
Date: 22 Aug 2008 20:35:00
Message: <web.48af5b316b11a0dc261d9700@news.povray.org>
Any thoughts on replacing the current radiosity with a new system?

If not, I would at least like the ability to up the count beyond 1600.  Although
the current maximum allows one sample approximately every 1.5 degrees (surface
area of 4*pi / 1600 samples * 180 degrees per radian), I've found that using
realistically sized objects with high ambient values to light radiosity scenes
need a finer resolution than this.

I've done some tests hacking scenes together to use only photons for lighting,
and I personally prefer this method (I should get around to posting some
samples).  Others have also mentioned BRDF, I believe it's called, where you
basically write your own lighting routine.  And I'm sure there are still other
methods for global illumination.

So, any thoughts on what should be used for POV 4?