POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Stochastic render rig focal blur FIXED : Re: Stochastic render rig focal blur FIXED Server Time
1 Aug 2024 10:14:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Stochastic render rig focal blur FIXED
From: Edouard Poor
Date: 22 Aug 2008 18:10:00
Message: <web.48af38e590c1c695dbf7248f0@news.povray.org>
"Samuel Benge" <stb### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> "Edouard Poor" <pov### [at] edouardinfo> wrote:
> >
> > Thank-you! I'm glad someone found it useful.
> >
> > Attached is my test object with focal blur using the technique above - I'd
> > posted one a few days ago, but this one has the corrected focal blur, and does
> > look a little better for it.
>
> It looks good!
>
> I tried rendering a 255-frame hdr version of your previously released code, and
> of course I got the frames rendered just fine. The trouble came when I
> attempted to average all 800x600p hdr images. I ran out of memory at one point,
> I'm estimating at the 120th frame. I would have to average the whole sequence in
> three parts, and then average the three parts together...

I wrote a simple command-line program to merge the HDR images - I'll try and
post the source somewhere soonish, but if you were on Mac OS X, I could just
post that executable straight away.

I've merged 10000 images with it, plus doing it all at the end eliminates the
any possible accumulation errors that might build up.

> Good work, at any rate. Have you tried moving the camera in a circular fashion
> to produce an even result? I've got an array of 227 points distributed evenly
> within a circle, if you are interested.

Usually a random distribution seems to work well, and different scenes require a
different number of frames to look good.

Actually one issue I've noticed is that I think that the random number generator
in POV-Ray isn't quite as randomly distributed as I would like - esp with
averaging deep DoF and specular highlights (or HDR reflections of point light
sources) I notice a discernible pattern appearing in the bokeh. I guess I could
test it by loading a random array produced externally (with some high quality
RNG)  and comparing the results.

> Sam

Cheers,
Edouard.