POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Unexpected Abstract (168k jpg) : Re: Dunes (64k jpg) Server Time
1 Aug 2024 10:12:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dunes (64k jpg)
From: Reactor
Date: 10 Aug 2008 13:40:01
Message: <web.489f27704025b6eceba64d7d0@news.povray.org>
stbenge <THI### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> Tek wrote:
> > Ah of course! That's a really nice effect already but I look forward to
> > seeing the "Alaska style" results :)
>
> Well, you might be looking forward for a long time, because this
> technique isn't working out! All I've managed to do is scratch the
> surface down the sides of the height_field. Maybe I should post the
> source so other people can look at it. A free, fully-automated erosion
> setup producing 16-bit gray scale height maps... that would be nice.
>
> Sam

Suddenly I am reminded of playing with the 'flow' command in hf_lab in an
attempt to build eroded height fields... I had limited success.  I am very
interested in your technique(s), though.  I've wondered whether a decent
erosion routine could be made into functions for use with isosurface based
landscapes.

-Reactor