POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Copying pigments with crackle (124k jpg) : Re: Copying pigments with crackle (124k jpg) Server Time
1 Aug 2024 18:21:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Copying pigments with crackle (124k jpg)
From: Samuel Benge
Date: 30 Jul 2008 15:20:01
Message: <web.4890be074f928167ff8a991c0@news.povray.org>
"Tek" <tek### [at] evilsuperbraincom> wrote:
> "stbenge" <THI### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> > Yes, you can get some interesting effects. Here, try this out:
>
> Yeah but it distorts the pattern, one of the things that's great about your
> first post is that it duplicates my pattern into every cell, but with metric
> one it breaks it.

Hmm, I don't know if what you want is possible... "You can't change the laws of
physics," as my mom would say, or in this case, the laws of mathematics ;)

> > It makes rectangular masses all over the place. Nest a few of those with
> > different translation values, and a cityscape might be possible.
>
> I've already got the city:

Ah yes, now I remember.

> But I really need a perpendicular pattern to the crackle, something like the
> radial example in your original post, but perpendicular to metric 1.
> I don't think it's possible though :(

What are you after? Are you planning to make vertical ridges going up along the
sides of each building? Can my code (without metric 1) be applied into each
metric 1 cell to achieve your goal? It wouldn't wrap perfectly around the
metric 1 cells, but would still be central to each cell. Buried in a
pigment_map, you could hide the discontinuities between the metric 1 and metric
2 cell edges.

Sam