POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Tracers : Re: Tracers Server Time
1 Aug 2024 14:35:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tracers
From: alphaQuad
Date: 2 Jul 2008 12:45:00
Message: <web.486baf84b85a6760d3575d3f0@news.povray.org>
 Read the fine SVG file
> format specification at
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/

I have read it and the fact remains something very strange, outside specifcation
description with potrace output.

Look at this and tell me, ok, a square, vertical sides.

<?xml version="1.0" standalone="no"?>
<!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD SVG 1.1//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/1.1/DTD/svg11.dtd">
<svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" viewBox="0 0 523.0 468.0">
<g transform="translate(0,468) scale(0.100000,-0.100000)" fill="#000000"
stroke="none">
<path d="M1330 2450 l0 -1250 1250 0 1250 0 0 1250 0 1250 -1250 0 -1250 0 0
-1250z"/>
</g>
</svg>

there are 9 not 4, yet Adobe viewer knows what to do!?!?
http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG11/paths.html#PathDataLinetoCommands

If you ignore the zeros maybe, you have vertical sides.

Easier to look at the pairs like this

%tok1 M 13.3 24.5
%tok2 L 0 -12.5
%tok3 L 12.5 0
%tok4 L 12.5 0
%tok5 L 0 12.5
%tok6 L 0 12.5
%tok7 L -12.5 0
%tok8 L -12.5 0

Clearly NOT NOT ACCORDING to SPECS!!!!!!!!!!!
M CANNOT be the new current starting point but M was the starting point in the
glyphs.svg
As described in* http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/paths.html#PathDataMovetoCommands
The "moveto" commands (M or m) establish a new current point.

How did Adobe viewer understand this?

Even if you say OK lower case 'l' is different in that M is NOT the new current
point,
the pairs are simply repeated here except for the 1st 2, but also jumbled in
that zeroes cannot exist in all 4 corners of a square with vertical
sides?!?!?!? No matter where you translate it.

I am perplexed. Brains cells are frying on this one! It doesnt look like SVG
data path, described or seen previously.

using the specification as documented, results: potraceoutput.png
(with stargateglyphs showing this is possible with a correct file deciphered by
path documentation.

I'll trace every value to img and find edge points and learn what potrace is
doing, something not according specs, yet somehow is still done right in
existing viewers.  .... very wierd.

I get honest effort from you guys, that is real nice of you, thanks. This one
boggles.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'potraceoutput.png' (25 KB)