POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : StarGate : Re: StarGate Server Time
1 Aug 2024 20:13:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: StarGate
From: Woody
Date: 26 Jun 2008 08:10:01
Message: <web.486386decd5f2f2f49b4acd50@news.povray.org>
"alphaQuad" <alp### [at] earthlinknet> wrote:
> Sad summary:
>
> >Maybe you can take it farther than I did ...
> > and post a scene in scene-files
> Mike suggested someone might take his model further and would post ..
>
> cant find in
> binaries.scene-files
> text.scene-files
>
> Woody asked for it.
>
> I guess its dead.
>
> Woody?
> You got models for which you need obj files or pov scene files?
>
> Is that dead too?
>
> peace and later,
> aQ
>
> Why collaborate if we don't collaborate.

Sorry, for the late response. Never decide to be an actuary, my benefit/time
ratio decreases constantly.

I didn't necessarily need an OBJ file. After seeing your post I decided to
download and install Blender. I must admit I know nothing about Blender. If you
have a file in a POV ray version with primitives rather than meshes I would be
interested in that as well as an OBJ file.

My reasoning for a POV scene files or OBJ files that it would be nice to isolate
the various components of the object, i.e select only the objects that compose a
chevron or only the components that comopose a glyph, and modifying those
components while leaving the other components the same. I realize this is
probably very difficult when using a mesh or OBJ file (hence desire for a POV
file).

I'm working on a program in VC# 2008 Express to select a series of mesh
triangles from an OBJ file and "group them". However, my knowledge of C# and
the new .NET environment as well as Direct X is rather limited. (Sigh, if only
I could do this in VBA, but I have a feeling its easier to do in c#).

Anyway the picture from above is a rather old version of the Chevron (The green
glowwy bars are created through a difference of the grey chevron and boxes
objects. This is then combined with a green scaled version of the grey portion.

I've been doing more recent work (with I believe better proportions and
orientations with moray files that are completely meshes in nature. I would be
happy to send to you if you wish.

If there is an easy way in blender to output to an OBJ file please let me know
(still have not looked at the documentation).

I stilll hope to calloborate. So if you don't get an answer for a couple of days
its probably because my 10-12 hour week days severely drain my energy. But I'll
definatley get back to you by weeks end.

Woody.